Independent Study Program
Independent Study Program 2021-2022
Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill (AB) 130 into law, changing the Independent Study Program. In addition to our traditional Independent Study Program for short-term absences, students have a long-term (15 days or more) Independent Study option for the 2021-2022 school year. Families who have student health concerns with in-person instruction have this additional enrollment option. If a student has an IEP or 504 Plan, enrollment in this program must be done in an IEP or 504 meeting before any change of program placement.
- Students enrolled in this program must make satisfactory educational progress, engage in live online instructional sessions, and complete assignments.
- District adopted curriculum will be utilized for both Independent Study and in-person instruction.
- Parent/guardian may request a conference prior to enrollment.
- An Independent Study written agreement will be reviewed at a conference via phone, online, or in-person.
- Written Agreement includes the following:
- The manner, time, frequency, and place for communicating with a pupil’s parent or guardian regarding academic progress.
- The inclusion of confirming or providing access to all pupils to the connectivity and devices adequate for participation and completion of work in the specific resources made available to the pupil.
- The level of satisfactory educational progress that would trigger an evaluation of whether or not the pupil should be allowed to continue in IS.
- A detailed statement of academic and other supports provided to address the needs of pupils not performing at grade level or needed support in other areas such as English learners, pupils in foster care, pupils experiencing homelessness, and pupils requiring mental health supports.
- A provision for the use of electronic signatures for written agreements.
- Students in grades TK-3 will have daily online instruction, primarily in the afternoons, for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Students in grades 4-8 will have weekly online instruction for a minimum of 30 minutes and daily check-ins via phone, email, or Zoom.
- Daily participation in the above activities will be documented.
- Work is completed independently at home on a grade level using the learning management system as determined by the teacher of record such as Canvas or Google Classroom.
If you feel attending in-person instruction will put your student’s health at risk and would like to discuss our long-term Independent Study Program, please make an appointment with your school site Principal.
Golden Oak- Diane Barnett, Principal @ 661-746-8672
Redwood - Ivonne Hernandez, Principal @ 661-746-8652
Sequoia- Janean Johnson, Principal @ 661-746-8742
Richland Junior - Monica Garza, Principal @ 661-746-8622