Interdistrict Forms

Version en español

Transferring out of Richland School District (RSD)

Students who reside within the boundaries of RSD and would like to attend school in another district must do the following:

  1. The parent/guardian must obtain a Request for Interdistrict Attendance Permit from RSD.
  2. The parent/guardian must complete the Request for Interdistrict Attendance Permit and then submit it to RSD Superintendent's Office for processing and approval.

Transferring into Richland School District (RSD)

Students who reside outside of the boundaries of RSD and would like to attend school in RSD must do the following:
1. California law mandates that students attend the public school district in which the residency of the parent/guardian is located. This is called the District of Residence. For parents/guardians whose residence is outside of RSD boundaries, and desire their student to attend a school in RSD, they must first obtain an Interdistrict Transfer approval from their District of Residence. If the District of Residence approves the Interdistrict Transfer, it will be sent to RSD Superintendent's Office for consideration and processing. 

2. Richland School District will begin accepting and processing Interdistrict Transfer requests for the 2021-2022 school year on January 11, 2021. Failure of the parent/guardian to meet any timelines established by this website, Board Policy and/or Administrative Regulation is deemed to be an abandonment of the request.
3. Interdistrict Transfer requests for the current school year are accepted throughout that school year.
4. Richland School District adheres to RSD Board Policy 5117  Interdistrict Attendance, and RSD Administrative Regulation 5117 Interdistrict Attendance, with regard to approvals and denials of Interdistrict Transfer Requests. Richland School District may approve or deny an interdistrict attendance permit for a student for any of the following reasons when stipulated in the agreement:
a.When the student has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit. (Education Code 46600)
b. To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.
c. To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, middle or senior high school.
d. When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start that year in the district.
e. When recommended by the school attendance review board or by county child welfare, probation or social services agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which made it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence. 

5. The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary. However, once a student is admitted, the district may not deny him/her continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.

Timeframe for District Response

  • The districts involved will notify the parent/guardian by mail, or in some instances, email, of their decision within the timeframes specified herein.
  • Education Code 46601 provides the following timeframes for notification:
    a.  For requests submitted during the regular school year, districts shall respond within 30 days of submitting the request.
    b.  For requests submitted for admission in the subsequent school year up to 30 days prior to the start of the subsequent regular school year, districts shall respond within 14 calendar days of the start of the subsequent school year.
  • While the application is pending, the pupil must attend school in the district of residence, a charter school, a private school, or other option complying with California compulsory education requirements.

Appeal of Denials

The person having legal custody of the student may appeal, within 30 calendar days of a school district's failure or refusal to issue an interdistrict attendance permit, to the county board of education having jurisdiction over the district of residence of the parent, legal guardian, or person having legal custody. Failure to appeal within the required time is good cause for denial of an appeal. An appeal shall be accepted only upon verification by the County Board's designee that all appeals within the districts have been exhausted. The appeal process for Richland School District is outlined in the next paragraph. For information on appeals to the Kern County Board of Education, contact the Kern County Superintendent of Schools at (661) 636-4000. The Kern County Superintendent of Schools can also share the manner in which parents/guardians will be notified of appeal decisions.

The parent/guardian of a student who is denied an Interdistrict Attendance Permit will receive written notification from Richland School District (see Timeframe for District Response above). The parent/guardian may appeal that decision within 30 days of receiving the denial. To appeal, the parent/guardian must submit a written letter to the Superintendent with a full explanation of the basis for the appeal. The Superintendent will then contact the parent/guardian regarding their appeal. If the appeal is denied, the parent/guardian will be referred to the Kern County Superintendent of Schools appeal process, outlined in the previous paragraph.